Finished Bathroom

 


If this blog were an HGTV show, this post would be the segment where the host makes the big reveal. I don't have a giant sign or a bus to move, so you will just have to scroll.


I chose a wall color that would make the tub look like it belonged (Azalea Leaf from Behr). I took the above photo to commemorate the fish stencils that were adorable with my tropical fish decor theme - which I actually bought for my first apartment in1999. The old drywall was not in great shape after the wallpaper had been removed before I moved in, so I used a sea sponge roller and paint glaze to create the seafoam effect. Cringe all you want, but go watch some vintage Y2K HGTV and you will see that this was very "in" when I did it. The green isn't too far off from my faux foam but it is a much neater and cleaner look. I also had nothing to hide since I replaced or skim coated the old drywall.


Without the old medicine cabinet, you can see the cavity in the wall and the chimney coming up. Due to "stuff" in the walls, I decided to surface mount the new, larger medicine cabinet. Mischievous Mommy Monkey had a little fun leaving a surprise for the next person to renovate the bathroom. Yes, I am leaving little easter eggs in my walls as I go!


The photo on the left shows the lovely $40 chandelier from Ikea adding a lovely bit of glam to the bathroom. you can also see that I hadn't installed the newer, larger medicine cabinet yet. You have probably also noticed the thing that I didn't bother checking before buying or installing it. It worked great until you open the door. Still, it was better than the boob light that was there before! 

I ended up moving it to the hallway (didn't stay there either!) and getting something that was shorter and far more MCM in style. 


Doctor Who fans will recognize the TARDIS on the shower curtain which is a not to the Vincent and the Doctor episode (still makes me ugly cry every time I watch it). There is also a Tardis watercolor print over the toilet. Not shown is the crack in time in space/Amy's wall in decal form behind the door and a collection of Police Boxes and DW Pops on top of the medicine cabinet I surface mounted.

I also wanted to point out the different color towels you see reflected in the mirror. They may look out of place, BUT they are actually color-coded for each family member. That way everyone knows which towel is theirs and who left their towel on the floor.


The fat is just walking away after all of the work I did in this bathroom!


Finished view of the Glitter Countertop and vanity with the backsplash tiled. Note the TARDIS blue hand towel? I was trying to be subtle with the Doctor Who touches and make it easy to change if I want. I may not want to live with the same decor for 20 years like I did last time. Or maybe I will... but I have options.


Yes, more glitter. I used the old wall plates and applied a thick coat of mod podge followed by a thick coating of glitter. I let them dry overnight and brushed off excess glitter before giving them a few coats of clear spray paint to seal. it has been a few years and they still look like this picture with no glitter loss.


As we close the door on this room, I will share one last detail that I am carrying throughout the house. rope. The original doors and glass knobs were tossed out after the fire  (yes, I am still bitter)  but I found these replacements with the rope rosette. I am adding them to each room as I go. I even found matching wall plates which I put on the dining room light switches. 

Could I have kept the $10 Home Depot knobs? Sure. They worked and they didn't look terrible. Bit it is these little architectural touches that make all the difference. It was a difference of $80, which seems like a lot for a doorknob, but it makes the look complete. like it belongs and has always been there and not an afterthought. we will revisit the doorknobs when I show you my bedroom - I did something a little different.

Comments

Popular Posts