Two years later...

I had such high hopes and motivation in the beginning, but life has a funny habit of getting in the way
of our plans. As the separation and divorce have dragged on, it has worn on me and on the children.
Emotions have run high and low and all over the place. I felt like I was living in crisis mode; sticking
one finger in the dam and another leak springs up. The dining room took a back seat. I was "too busy".


I hadn't yet figured out how healing remodeling truly is. As I have said before, the redecorating has
really helped me figure out who I am, what I want, and what I like. It just took a lot longer to not just
figure it out, but to find my confidence as well. Once I finally got some momentum going, things really
got cooking! Then, I painted the hutch...




Looks nice, right? well, what you can't see here is that my grandmother oild this piece every Saturday.
for DECADES! all of that oil did a nice job of preserving it while it was neglected, but it also bled through
the primer (Killz 2 latex primer) and through about 4 coats of paint. My son decided to pick at the paint in
a fit of anxiety and ended up peeling through all of the layers - including primer! Once he realized what
he did, he panicked thinking I would be mad. He was a bit surprised when I told him to go ahead and
peel as much as he could/wanted. We ended up peeling about 90 percent of it off and I got the rest with
a heat gun and plastic putty knife. Then, there it sat. for at least a year. It even became a workbench
when I was remodeling the bathroom (spoiler alert!). THe bathroom project gave me the confidence I
needed to approach this hutch again. This time, I was armed with the Original Killz oil based primer and
the results were exactly what I was hoping for.




And here it is! The finished piece all set with my teacup collection and freshly polished silver tea service.
If you are really observant, you'll see that I moved it a couple of times too. It is back where it started and
I'm happy with the final decision.



I still have a few finishing touches that haven't gotten checked off of the punch list yet. I also found
another project to add to my list hiding in my workshop. Next time, join me for a Room Recap and maybe
I can get those last few projects done.

Comments

Popular Posts